It’s been a long, cold, WINTERY winter for most of us in the United States this year. But slowly (very slowly!) winter has lost its icy grip and spring is on the way. Spring marks new beginnings, perhaps even more so than New Year’s.I love the freeing feeling of warmth, sunshine, and a fresh start. Which makes my love of spring cleaning no surprise. Below I’ve listed seven new ways to spring clean your supply of books.
1. Sell them. There are several online retailers out there. I always check amazon.com, ebay, hastings, and half-price books for the best price, but they are just a few sites out of many. Shop around, but remember not to shop! This can distract you and lead to no sales & several buys!
2. Donate them. Check with your local library, school, hospital, homeless shelter, and nursing home. There is always a need for good books, especially among the impoverished. Don’t forget local reading programs.
3. Increase their value. Have a few favorites you can’t bear to part with? Find the author on the internet and check for upcoming events. Signed copies can justify your inability to part with them. Oh, this book? I can’t part with it. It’s a collectors item! and don’t worry about its condition. There’s nothing I love more than seeing a reader’s dog-eared copy of my book. It means that book is loved!
4. Create your own lending library. Find a venue and create your own library. But be forewarned! Only use books you aren’t attached to and let go. It may not come back to you, after all.
5. Organize your personal library. Get those stacks of books off the floor! You can make your obsession pretty. Nothing looks better than book-lined shelves.
6. Read your to-read pile. Don’t just them by your bed! Take the with you. I always keep one or two copies in my car, purse, and parents’ house. Force yourself to finish your to-reads before buying any more books. What better motivation is there than that?
7. Get crafty. Now, I don’t advocate the destruction of books. However, old or damaged copies that can’t be salvaged can sometimes be reused. Check out pinterest and etsy to find some great ideas.
So go ahead, clean out those closets. Shed the old and begin with the new. It’s spring!
What copy can you not bear to part with and why?